Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Gardening in an "Endless Summer"


It's been challenging to know what to put in the garden this year. The weatherman keeps promising "El Nino" weather and that we'll have lot's of rain, but so far it's just been an Endless Summer....and we're in February! Luckily, I decided a while back to start planting drought-tolerant landscape plants. If you're unsure of what to plant, I always recommend looking around at what's planted along the side of the road or highway. If it's surviving there (with all of that carbon-monoxide exhaust blowing at it every day) than it's definitely something that might have a fighting chance in the garden. One of my favorite plants is Plumbago auriculata. Aside from the fact that it's one of my favorite colors (Blue), it's very versatile. You can let it grow in to it's usual wispy bush, you can hedge it (it's particularly great at disguising chain-link fences, which is what I'm doing with it) or you can even keep it trimmed close to the ground for a low ground cover. It's drought tolerant and tough as nails. This weekend I'll be heading off to my local nursery to find some more "Endless Summer tolerant" plants to add to the Sandcastle Cottage garden. I'd love to hear what the weather's like in YOUR garden? What are you planting?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bye Bye School - Hello Summer! (Thank You!)

This is the very last week of school for Video Boy and Princess! Woohoo! While most of the school districts in The O.C. have already sent...