Friday, February 26, 2016

A Dandelion Perspective

What do YOU see?

Last weekend I received another lesson on Perspective. It's one of those skills that really needs to be presented to us over and over again so that we don't forget how to use it. Luckily, I have a 5 year old who keeps my Perspective skills up to her standards.

We're in a drought here, so we haven't really paid much attention to the back lawn lately (truth be told, I'd love to rip OUT the lawn and put in raised vegetable beds, or a lovely patio area, but that's a subject for another conversation). Instead of a well-trimmed lawn, the dandelions have taken over. Now most of us would be embarrassed at letting our lawn "go to weeds," but apparently having several dozen dandelions scattered around is actually cause for great joy and excitement! The Princess was in the back yard with her two little friends when I heard an exclamation! "Look!.....dandelions!.....everywhere!" I watched as three little girls ran joyfully around the backyard...picking dandelions and blowing them (which, no doubt, will lead to even MORE dandelions). I stood and watched their delightful discovery play out. It made me think: Life is all about perspective - how you choose to look at a weed. It can either bring you a sense of embarrassment and exasperation or it can lift your spirits and bring you pure joy and delight.

Luckily, the dandelions in our backyard are "joy and delight" dandelions.....not plain 'ol weeds, as I had previously thought. Who knew? The Princess knew....and she, once again, patiently taught me - It's all in how you choose to look at things. This weekend I've decided to "throw in the trowel" and leave the weeds to sit a bit longer. Instead, I think I'll give blowing dandelions a try - I'm sure THAT skill needs a little sharpening, too.
-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bye Bye School - Hello Summer! (Thank You!)

This is the very last week of school for Video Boy and Princess! Woohoo! While most of the school districts in The O.C. have already sent...