Friday, April 8, 2016

Clipped Wings


I have a to-do list at least several pages long....the garage needs organizing, the garden needs tending to (well, okay...the "tending" is actually the fact that I need to PLANT the veggie garden), I have several painting projects lined up, and there's always my Sunday morning walks along the beach with my best childhood friend.  With all of these tasks awaiting my attention, injuring my lower back was certainly NOT on my to-do list. I've been out-of-commission since March 3rd and let me tell you...when your life is suddenly limited to sitting, laying down and moving very carefully...mingled with trips to the doctors and various procedures to set things right again...that to-do list ends up mocking you. (I can hear it chuckling and sneering from my desk).

On the bright side, the income taxes are done and filed, I'm now working on reading book #5 from the pile on my nightstand and I've had more time to do the things I never seem to have time to do (like contemplating paint colors for the master bedroom), so it hasn't been a total waste of time. It's also given me time to slow down a bit....think about things...and realize that this little blip on life's radar has really been a blessing in some ways. I've spent more time with my parents, my husband and the kids...I'm not rushing off here or there...and I've had time to watch the flowers in the front yard grow...time to keep a better eye on the herbs in the old washtub on the back patio...more time to chit chat with the neighbors (on the few occasions when I've managed to hobble out for some fresh air and sunshine). The good thing is that to-do list will be there when my back has mended itself, and in the meantime I've had a little respite from life's hamster wheel. It's all in how you choose to look at tings. Life's challenges are what you choose to make of them - and I'm making good use of the time I've been given to slow down and smell the flowers. - S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bye Bye School - Hello Summer! (Thank You!)

This is the very last week of school for Video Boy and Princess! Woohoo! While most of the school districts in The O.C. have already sent...